Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Final Blog Post-Regan Bradley

So people really do what their legs cut off?

This idea has been haunting me since the beginning of this course. Apotemnophilia is the attraction to the idea of being an amputee according to psychology John Money from John Hopkins. People ask surgeons to cut off perfectly healthy limbs in order to fulfill their image of themselves. This concept intrigues me because I plan to be a surgeon, meaning could people actually ask me to do this? Will I be cutting off healthy limbs in my future? Will I be helping or hurting those people if I do?

The main point I am taking away from this class is that there isn't one side to everything. There aren't even two sides. There are hundreds of sides. The opinions never end. Each opinion matters and each one is slightly different. I came into the course with a specific single path mindset and I am leaving with a world of ideas. So many ideas that have never even crossed my mind. No one admitted to wanting their legs cut off but with how popular this idea seems to be don't you want to believe that there was one person in that class that has thought of it. People explained their ideas behind why patients should have total saw or doctors have total say in the patient's treatment. We argued greatly on this topic.


 Of course, I will remember the concept of apotemnophilia and how it may be a part of my future career. However, I will also remember that I am addicted to sugar and that animals do have natural rights and drugs are a business and the media influences democracy and corn is our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...