Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Blog 10





I took some time to read many of the other student’s blogs before I started to write my own. Over the last few weeks, we have been focusing on the negative impacts of technology on our lives, including how it likely influenced our 2016 presidential election. While reading blogs, almost all the students had only positive things to say about the technology and subjects they were focusing on. I think this is important to bring up because we can discuss the negative impacts of technology forever, but when it comes down to it, no one is seriously going to deactivate their Facebook or get rid of their internet. I’m just being a realist here. Technology is something that many current college students have spent their whole lives surrounded by, they have grown up with it. To separate technology from us would be to separate an inborn part of ourselves. Maybe the debate about technology being bad should be framed around the question of age. While some young people fall for stupid crap on the internet, to a greater expense I believe it’s generations that didn’t grow up with such ease of access that tend to fall for false information. If you study reposters of false information on Facebook, it tends to be performed by people in their 40s and older (at least from my personal experience). Now, I’m not saying every 40+ year old falls for false info, just as I’m not saying that people in their 20s don’t fall for the same BS. But, I believe that the spread of false information tends to be observed along more age or generational lines. This is simply due to a generation growing up with the rapidly changing and confusing internet, versus a generation that had to adjust to such rapid expansion of information later in their lives.


Image result for abraham lincoln internet quote

I've included one of my favorite Abraham Lincoln quotes from the internet. It was hard to chose just one, he was such a wise man and well ahead of his time.

(I have seen a quote like this posted on Facebook multiple times, used not ironically but with absolute belief that it was true)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...