Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Blog Post #8; Caitlin Barth

Physically and Mentally Altered by Technology

Technology has become so intertwined in our lives that it is difficult to step back and consider its subtle impacts or even its blatant impacts. Still, I know I have become physically and mentally shaped by technology. Recently, I have had an increase in tension headaches that I found originating from an unusual amount of neck and back pain. I went to the chiropractor for the first time ever to see if an adjustment would ease my pain. The doctor said the typical curvature of a neck is 45 degrees and mine was completely straight. He referred to this diagnosis as “Student Syndrome.” Student syndrome is a well-known diagnosis in the chiropractic discipline to refer to the biomechanical and physiological changes that occur from studying for hours on end. However, this syndrome is amplified with an increase in technology – looking down at our phones, apple watch, and/or computers 75% of the day (not a factual percentage). So, of course, I went to the chiropractor three times a week for a month to get that curvature back in my spine and relieve myself of severe headaches. Although this diagnosis is alarming, it’s almost inevitable. The more technology advances, the more I (we) will be looking down at it. 
Additionally, technology has shaped my interactions at social events. Even though I hopped on the social media bandwagon slightly later than most of my peers, once I was connected it was difficult to disconnect. At any social event, I consistently find myself considering how I can post this on social media, what I would caption it, and which social media site(s) I would post it to. Before, when people took pictures, they probably only considered which scrapbook they were going to put it in or who they were going to mail the photo to. They never had to consider how they were going to “sell” themselves online and become so petty to worry about how many “double-taps” a photo will get. Still, some worry so much about their “likes” because social media popularity is their source of income, which furthers their dependence on technology to sustain. For most, technology (in its broadest term) has made our lives easier, however, for some, it can cause perpetual social anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...