Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sleeping Aids

Most college students can relate to not having a good nights rest. With how varied schedules can run week by week, it's sometimes hard to find time to sleep a solid 8 hours. I remember even as a child having a hard time falling asleep. Once I entered high school, I took melatonin for restless nights. In college, I've taken melatonin once a week or so somewhat consistently. The Target Up&Up brand of Melatonin is the one I've always used but over the last year or so I've seen more and more commercials and advertisements for sleeping aids like Advil PM or Vicks ZzzQuil. These are touted as nighttime sleeping aids to be used on most nights when you're unable to fall asleep. When I'm sick, my favorite thing to take is Up&Up Nighttime Cold and Flu (the off brand of Vicks NyQuil Cold and Flu) since it knocks me out and allows me to sleep plus keeps my cold symptoms under control. So I was curious if these name brand products were superior to simple melatonin. 

Advil PM ($13.99 for 120 caplets) contains two active ingredients, ibuprofen (200 mg) and diphenhydramine citrate (38 mg) in each caplet. However, the instructions say to take 2 caplets at bedtime, so the dosages would be doubled. Vicks ZzzQuil ($13.49 for 48 caplets) contains one active ingredient, diphenhydramine hydrochloride (25 mg) per caplet. Once again, the instructions say to take 2 caplets at bedtime. A quick Google search reveals that diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that crosses the blood-brain barrier easily. It's also a CNS depressant, so that's why these drugs are good for putting you to sleep. In contrast, the Up&Up melatonin ($6.99 for 240 tablets) contains one active ingredient, melatonin (5 mg) in one tablet. The recommended dosage is only one tablet. 

Overall, I think it would be best to stick with melatonin for occasionally sleeplessness. There is less chance of developing a dependence and the overall cost per pill is significantly less for melatonin. Melatonin also comes in different dosages, like a 3 mg and 10 mg option, so can be tailored to an individuals sleeping needs. I realize there are people who hate taking pills, so at least ZzzQuil also offers a liquid alternative that those people could use. However, I have never seen a TV commercial for melatonin tablets, but as I said earlier, I'm seeing more and more for brand name sleeping aids like Advil PM and ZzzQuil. I'm sure people will continue to support the more expensive product, even though the natural alternative most likely works better for falling asleep. 

Image result for up and up melatonin 5 mg Image result for zzzquil Image result for advil pm

 

3 comments:

  1. I've used melatonin to help with sleeplessness for a long time now, and I don't think I'll ever use any other actual sleep aids. Melatonin is a hormone that your body already produces, so taking extra melatonin isn't messing with your body's chemistry and putting weird drugs in your system, but just helping the natural sleep cycle move along. I have talked to a couple people who have said melatonin tablets don't really help them, so in that case I can understand trying other sleep aids but personally I'll just stick to the natural (and cheap!) solution

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered what the difference was between natural melatonin and the Advil PM and ZzzQuil. I too take just generic melatonin when I need it because it is naturally produced in the body and I don't feel drowsy or groggy the next day as I have when I took Nyquil or Advil Cold and Sinus. That being said, I have always thought of Advil and Nyquil as brands for when you aren't feeling well, which I find it difficult to buy them on the regular. I think that it is great that these companies are offering alternative methods for sleep aid, but will consumers really trust these alternative products when they are already well known for a different purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! I've wondered about the differences between these medications as well. I think it's interesting to see the business aspect of it all, especially how each of them are marketed and advertised and also how they are portrayed to the public and how they get out there. As a pre-pharm student, that aspect is very interesting to me and I'd love to get deeper into it

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...