Sunday, May 6, 2018

Final Blog Post!

This class has been a treat for me to take in my final semester. The diverse topics covered made this course engaging and enjoyable. For me, I think my favorite unit was the food unit. Being someone who comes from a family with an agriculture background, this is the stuff that always gets discussed at the dinner table after a long day outside. This class pushed me to dive deeper than the surface topics. I enjoyed being constantly asked "why?" or "why not?" and "what does this mean for us?" because those were not things that were brought up, ever. It was interesting to listen to and interact with people who had backgrounds that were different from mine from debates about Monsanto, to whether or not diets and eating organically and GMO-free are reasonable or a load of BS. Ultimately this class has prepared me to present well-informed opinions, support them with facts, and to acknowledge viewpoints that differ from mine. There aren't two sides to everything, nothing is simple, and we as a society need to recognize life's complexities in order to get anywhere. We need to be able to have discussions like the ones we've had in class. While I often felt that I came out of class feeling like I had less of a grasp on reality, I think I learned more about my critical thinking self than any other college course I've taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...