Monday, March 19, 2018

Serving & Free Will

As a server, my job is to literally to facilitate eating events. In an average shift, I serve anywhere between 20-30 tables so I get to observe 20-30 eating events (or just drinking) events. I help people indulge. They do so by spending money, eating food, and consuming alcohol. I have to help customers (or as they're more politely called "guests" in the industry) in a variety of ways: by answering questions about menu items, making recommendations, making small small talk, and bringing them the things they order. Furthermore, I have to perform a variety of emotional tasks in order to (attempt) to make them feel comfortable and happy. For example, I have to make sure to they don't feel guilt or shame for what they consume. I need to be sure that I do not tell people that what they're ordering is "a lot," that I'm not overly pushy about them ordering more food/drinks, and that I always smile/laugh and respond encouragingly when someone makes a self-deprecating joke about about them eating a lot or eating something unhealthy. 

Some general things I have noticed: People eat and drink more when their friends eat and drink more, and, conversely, people eat and drink less when their friends eat and drink less. Consequently, people spend more money when their friends spend more money. People eat/drink more when there's a "deal" (even when it ends up costing them more money than they would have otherwise spent). People are uncomfortable when their friends bring up the healthiness (or usually, unhealthiness) of certain foods, as it makes them feel guilty. 

Eating and drinking out contains a number of important cultural rituals and phenomena, such as indulgence, celebration, consumption (of food, drink, and literally spending money), gluttony & consumption of fats/sugar (unhealthy substances), guilt for eating/drinking too much, guilt (because of a friend eating healthier food or eating less), as well as being "seen" (photos for instagram, being in a slightly "nicer" or "cooler" restaurant than others in the area). 

The eating events I have described have economic ramifications as well. How much people enjoy themselves affects my tip, which affects the "tip outs" I give the bartender and the kitchen staff. My tips (immediately) affect my overall income (as well as my coworkers'), but also affect the future tips and future income of me and my coworkers (because people that have a good time are likely to come back and tell others to come, whereas people that don't have a good experience will tell others not to come.) They also affect small business and our success and ability to sustain ourselves, which speaks to what kinds of business we value individually and culturally. 

This is kind of all over the place, but I hope to synthesize some of the situations and behaviors I notice at work nearly everyday. I think serving (and on the customer side of things, eating out) plays with free will in a number of interesting ways. For example, the free will of customers is significantly altered by the behaviors of whoever they are dining with. Customers' free will is also affected by my behavior as their server, as I can describe certain menu items in ways that persuade them to select certain items over others. Additionally, health and diet trends affect what people choose to eat, such as the popularity of gluten free diets (and all the gluten free and vegan items are marked on the menu. My free will as a server is also skewed by the economic and social aspects of my job. For example, I may REALLY want to give someone a piece of my mind (like when I hear people talking about how their gluten free taco is the "healthy choice" or more realistically when customers treat me in a degrading, condescending, or plain ol' creepy way) but I don't because my livelihood depends on it. I cannot possibly count how many times people have treated me poorly and made me feel less-than them, but instead of doing what I would really like to do (calling them out for their indecency) I've gritted my teeth, smiled, and pretended to be flattered or to think it's funny. I'm not really exercising my free will when economics are at play, as the customer has the upper hand and can always choose not to tip me. If I risk making a customer feel uncomfortable, I risk not being able to pay rent, I risk affecting the livelihoods of my coworkers and bosses, and the longevity of the restaurant. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...