Saturday, March 31, 2018

Blog #7- Preston Bradsher


I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed reading Economix; in fact, I nearly read it in a single sitting. I've never understood economic concepts largely because I've never seen them explained so plainly and with so little jargon. I really appreciate Goodwin's work on this book, and I think his approach to writing it mirrors one of the ideas inside: sometimes it isn't best to do something the proper way if there is another way that works better practically.

Two panels in particular stood out to me in the book. The first is on page 121 in the bottom right corner. It shows two economists in their academic robes insisting that the depression is going to end "any day now!" while a distressed worker cries that it isn't ending at all. The academics appear so sure of themselves while the worker is in utter disbelief that they can't seem to see the facts right in front of them. I particularly appreciated this point, which was illustrated repeatedly throughout the text, that we cannot rely solely on books, theory, and numbers. People and the dynamics between them go beyond numbers, and it is impossible to predict human reactions on paper. Goodwin demonstrates how utterly ridiculous it is to ignore the reality of a situation in order to preserve a dated theory. He insists that theory make space for the practical and the real, and that lawmakers and their advisors be willing to step outside of the known theory entirely in order to search for innovative solutions.

The second panel that hit home for me is on page 229 in the top left corner. It shows Hilary Clinton as First Lady indignantly yelling at a corporation about her proposed health care plan. The plan proposed a compromise between public and private healthcare that aimed to make less Americans die due to exorbitantly expensive privatized health care that would not cover them. She exclaims "But the plan gives you so much!" to which the corporation replies "it doesn't give me everything"! This panel sums up yet another of Goodwin's major points which really affected me: the source of so much of the problems and suffering in this country is pure greed. He heavily emphasizes the power of corporations over small businesses, workers, and even the government itself. This power is so enormous that they can refuse to bend unless they are given literally everything they want, effectively holding the country hostage for the gain of a very small number of people. To me, the book wants Americans to compromise. If everyone insists that they get everything they want, we will remain in so many of the vicious cycles which currently imprison our political system. If entities would look more at the larger picture than at their present comfort, a lot of real change could be made.

As depressing as this book was at times, it actually gave me hope. It helped me to understand the sources behind the deep frustration I feel at this country, and let me start to see the potential ways that things can be improved.







1 comment:

  1. To add to your point, Keynes once famously said, "In the long run, we're all dead." Economics as math built on classical assumptions says that the economy is self correcting. But what Keynes (and you) rightfully pointed out is that treating economics as math ignores the humanity of it. Even if the economy can correct itself over time, is it moral to allow suffering while it does so? All of this is to say (and I think this is Goodwin's main point) that understanding economics is supposed to be for something. Presumably, this something should be reducing suffering and improving the lives of the people around us through better policy making.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...