Sunday, February 4, 2018

The Post 2

Science has always been a big topic in my house growing up because, for my dad, it helped him escape from his dangerous neighborhood in El Paso. So, naturally, it was always important to him to stress the importance of receiving a college degree to his daughters. Especially if it was in STEM field. Therefore, it was no surprise when I grew up focusing on finding a science major that would interest me and, if I was lucky, even inspire me. I researched various science fields, bought bargain national geographic books at Barnes and Noble, and attended all the science museums within my area. While I was on my way to becoming one of the nerdiest kids to live (according to my sister), I noticed all the new technological developments being made. Tesla cars, hover boards, the hyper loop, NASA rockets, the works. I was in awe but I was also very concerned. Sure I was a nerd who know how to do integrals but I how would I ever come up with technology like this? I couldn't even remember the last time I fiddled with a computer much less come up with a world changing creation. So yeah, in my already stress-filled mind, I was doomed.

Technology in science continued to follow me when I went to college. I had initially wanted to pursue a major in astrophysics but I, for some reason, came up with the idea that I should actually study an engineering degree. I was convinced working with electronics and machinery was my future and that I would learn along the way despite my zero experience. So, I tried. I really did. I took the major engineering classes, bought more bargain engineering books from Barnes and Noble, and researched internships. Turns out, having zero experience really is worthless. In my case, not working with machinery, or not learning more about electrical connections, or not even taking a coding class when I was young really limited me from following that path in college. Science is hard enough as it is but once you add super complicated technology to the mix, everything turned upside down for me. However, after I finally declared myself a physics major (when I finally realized engineering was not for me at the time), I realized techno-science is a subject to be learned at your own pace. It's difficult and hard and at times but is essential in the STEM fields. People get intimidated by this when they're young or old and it sucks because we all have the skill to learn more from the world around us. We can all understand physics, biology, chemistry, etc. if we just stay patient and confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...