Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Techno Science

I can say with confidence that techno science and instruments has shaped my life in a multitude of different ways. The first example that comes to mind are the braces I had in high school. While I had a slight overbite, the main reason for getting braces was to fix the gaps I had in my teeth. This fits into the cosmetic procedures discussion we have touched on in class, specifically in terms of elective versus necessary procedures and our discussion on our rights as humans to undergo them. I also have horrible eye sight and wear contacts. So every year, my ophthalmologist uses various cameras, lens, and machines I'm not really sure the exact use of to adjust for my astigmatism and update my prescription. This use of instruments ties into Latour's set of beliefs. Both of these instruments have shaped my life. The first by allowing me to fix my cosmetic flaws I had been born with and the second by allowing me to fix my bad vision (that I was also born with) but which allows me to access things I wouldn't normally be able to do. As I said, I have absolutely horrible vision. If I did not have access to the assistive instruments of contacts or glasses, activities like going to school or driving would be out of the question. I guess what I'm trying to bring together here is that some of the techno science we experience have made certain aspects of our lives accessible (like school and driving) while other parts the same science have allowed us to superficially alter our appearance to better fit an ideal self. One part is necessary for basic functioning in our society, while the other part has no specific function but to make us look better (or more attractive).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...