Thursday, February 1, 2018

Pinker and Nature vs Nurture

The paragraph in which Pinker is describing the twins who were raised in extremely different environments but upon meeting were both wearing the same blue shirts and epaulets, as well as having many peculiar habits in common, was very interesting to me. This entire paper brings up the issue of Nature vs Nurture, which is one of my favorite issues to try and ponder. I personally do not believe that we are ourselves solely due to either of these factors, however I love hearing case studies and stories of times in which seemingly impossible or bizarre coincidences happened that seem to point one way or another more strongly. Pinker doesn’t seem to take a strong stance against or for Nature or Nurture, however he does bring up some excellent points refuting Nature’s (genetic’s) role in the creation of an individual (such as the similarities in brain maps of fraternal and identical twins, coincidences like the blue-shirters above, etc.). The amount of reflection and ability to see the argument from multiple perspectives is what draws me to Pinker’s debate on this dilemma.


When evaluating this “blank slate,” I am always drawn back to the Nature vs Nurture debate. I think that this falls into the category of scientific reflection, no matter which side one is arguing in this debate. Both sides are refuted with evidence, and there is a legitimate explanation formulated from data to try and explain the reasons behind all the occurrences that constitute “a person.” I myself, being raised in a household void of religion, have always looked to logic and science for answers for the unexplainable. My mind does not conform well to the idea that there may not be a logical explanation behind something, or that something “just is.” Many of the famous views Pinker brings into context ask you to believe them without any scientific or logical reasoning, and these I have a hard time accepting. I am working on being more open-minded with the ponderous and philosophical sides of arguments, though, and reading Pinker was a good exercise with this as he presents many views on the issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...