Saturday, February 17, 2018

Blog 3: The Threequel

The great Jim Hopper once said,"Mornings are for coffee and contemplation" and most of us can agree with that statement. Each of us our own philosophers and have created our own philosophies to follow for ourselves. However, if Descartes wasn't so vague and confusing, I would probably enjoy his sense of thinking more. I mean, who hasn't had those moments, whether its in the shower, drinking a cup of coffee late at night, or taking long walks, where we've contemplated life and our purpose in it. Descartes probably wasn't in the shower when he came up with his methods (maybe it was a bath in those times?) but his thoughts and ideas are very similar to the thoughts and ideas everyone has everyday. However, I can't completely agree with method of doubt reasoning. I get it, follow your own experiences, ignore authority figures and their assumptions. Maybe doubt Santa Claus at an earlier age so your childhood hopes won't be crushed in the future when your parents tell you the truth.  But what about God? God is, in some way an authority figure, one that Descartes claims to be truth. But what if you doubt God? Then in that case, he/she wouldn't exist according to Descartes' doubt method. So then that means Descartes is wrong, according to me or someone else. Or he's right according to himself or someone else. It all comes to down to personal belief. If you don't need science and data to find the answer then you can just pick one which feels right. This won't at all lead to conflicting answers because of course everyone thinks the same and agrees all the time like we're living in some society from Brave New World (I really hope the sarcasm is flowing out of the computer while you read this). Also, Descartes advocated for a new way of thinking but wouldn't this in some way go against his belief that common sense can only come from an individual's experience. His teachings are a way to persuade the public to entertain a new way of speaking by following his ideas. But this is what he argues against. I'm so confused. This whole way of circular reasoning only leaves me to reject his beliefs because I doubt them, I rather learn on my own, and follow my own thoughts. But then this is exactly what he wants. I can't win. Great, now my head hurts.



1 comment:

  1. Ha, as much as this circular reasoning is frustrating, I enjoyed the way you think and write. To me, Descartes does sound a lot like "if we think about it really really hard, we will find a definitive answer proved by reason." I suppose the easiest way to disprove something then is to thing really really hard the other way. It's definitely a way of doing science we're not accustomed to.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...