Saturday, February 3, 2018

Barbie (Blog Post #2; Caitlin Barth)

Techno-science shapes our reality in seen and unseen ways. It digs deep into our moral scope and facilitates an unwavering yearn to become the perfect specimen. Yet, techno-science is constantly receding; always advancing to one day reach ‘perfection.’ If it is continually receding, then how can its instruments attempt to shape us into ‘perfection’?
It’s difficult to take a step back an examine the realities of how its instruments have covertly crept into our lives. Personally, I find that physical enhancements have taken a niche into my life and those around me. My younger self, although I hate to admit it, was always looking for ways in which I could better my physical appearance. Whether that was slabbing anti-aging slop on my face twice a day or going to the tanning salon to obtain the ‘perfect’ skin tone. Even my peers would rush to the nail salon to glue on acrylic nails or get hair or eyelash extensions.
This also reminds me of my sister who is prescribed anxiety medication. She takes it “as needed” when life’s pressures begin to sneak up on her.  As more and more people get diagnosed with various types of anxiety, I begin to wonder where this might have started. Could it be that our unbearable anxiety has emerged from the plethora of technology telling us to be a certain way? It seems that techno-science starts the disorders, categorizes them, then takes a stab at fixing them. It is a never-ending cycle of persuasion.
 In the beginnings this type of social construction was facilitated by oil paintings and today it is heightened my magazines and social media. I like to think that I have better adapted to see right through the media’s bullshit (excuse my French). Though, its constantly pushes us closer to a specific ‘perfection’ while in actuality it is pushing us farther away from reality and our true selves.
And yet I sit here typing this blog with an apple watch on my wrist telling me when to breathe and stand-up. Techno-science is all around us and whether we like it or not it shapes our way of thinking and influences to do things we wouldn’t normally consider. It seems as if our free will is sitting on thinner and thinner ice as humans become more dependent on techno-science to live their lives.


1 comment:

  1. I wrote about psychological disorders affected by techno-science in a completely different sense, but I am really intrigued by your observations. While I've always considered the rise in anxiety diagnoses a result of the increasing pressure and stress put on people, I wasn't specifically thinking of media's impact on physical attributes. I don't feel that this was very much of a contribution to my own anxiety, but I totally see where you are coming from, and know many people who have been affected by today's 'beauty standards.' This makes me wonder how different things really were before we had Barbie dolls and fashion magazines, though. There will always be a beauty standard, and while those of the past may have been more easily attainable, there was still a set idea of how women and men 'should' look. Since I've grown up in this media-run society, I don't know how much pressure people (and especially women) felt to look a certain way, but I think it's worth inquiring as to just how much more emphasis has been put on beauty standards since the rise of media.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...