Saturday, February 3, 2018

Andrew Krump Blog Post #2

In second grade, I remember looking down the hall at my school and noticing that the door at the end seemed blurry. I told my parents this, and they took me to an eye doctor. Unsurprisingly, I was determined to be near sighted like both of my parents. The ophthalmologist proceeded to prescribe glasses to me. I avoided wearing them at first, because I didn’t like the way they looked on me. Additionally, I also found the change in visual perception (especially the lack of continuity in my peripheral vision) to take some getting used to. Eventually I accepted that seeing more clearly outweighed looking “nerdy” and got used to the positive change in my vision.

I often marvel at my friends who are able to wake up and see perfectly (or at least their visual disturbances are so minimal that they have never sought out contacts or glasses). The science of optometry has constructed the realization in me that I cannot see “normally”. Vision, in my opinion, is the most informationally dense of the five senses. As such, my experience of vision heavily influences my understanding and perception of reality and how I relate to the world. When I remove my contacts or glasses, I can no longer experience reality in as rich of a way. However, on some level this is unnatural. I enjoy being able to see greater distances and with greater clarity, but I have also gotten further away from a pure “me” and moved towards a “better me” that is augmented with visual enhancing technology (prescription lenses). As a result, I can experience a better reality, as determined by my eye doctor and myself. In a certain sense, at least relative to my natural state, I have become scientifically enhanced.

The experience of getting a prescription for contacts or glasses is a unique interaction between “naming” (a diagnostic component: “You are near sighted and see at 20/100”), as well as the use of measuring instruments and systems to transform a subjective disturbance in a sense to a device which is crafted using objective and universal specifications. The diagnostic process starts by having the patient read a list of increasingly small letters. The patient places their eyes in front of a machine that contains a series of lenses that can be arranged to correspond to different lens prescriptions. Combinations are tried systematically until the patient can demonstrate the level of visual acuity of “normal” 20/20 vision. Importantly, a good deal of this process requires that the patient is accurately able to identify increasingly subtle changes in their visual experience as either “better” or “worse”. The doctor attempts to make some of this subjective experience objective by verifying that the patient can read lines which have been calibrated to represent “normal” vision, but outside of this broad hurdle, the patient’s awareness will influence the resulting prescription, and eventually, their entire visual experience when they are using their new prescription. The specifications of the lens the patient identified as offering the most improvement are sent to a lens manufacturer which uses a precision machine to create a piece of glass that has the resulting properties to bend light in a way that replicates the lens that the patient tried at the eye doctor. The same principle applies to contact lenses, but the manufacturer is instead using a polymer (in the case of soft lenses) that achieves the same result while still allowing oxygen to reach the eye and remain properly lubricated. In the case of contact lenses, the choice of material will be influenced by the patient’s perception of comfort and not just the greatest resolving power of the lens.

Latour’s overview of the mapping of the Amazonian soil quality offers some interesting parallels to the science of optometry. Latour notes that the soil scientists are attempting to standardize their subjective observations of the real world (soil color) into an objective medium that can be understood elsewhere and preserved with precision (an exact color value form a palette). Similarly, optometrists standardize subjective feedback from patients (“better” or “worse”; “first” or “second”) into an objective prescription that can be used by a lens manufacturer to create an appropriate lens. Latour also points out that through careful measuring and recreation, the soil scientists have created something new that is an attempt to conceptualize elements of the real world: a map. Optometrists also do this. By creating a corrective lens, optometrists bring into the world a physical representation of the conceptualized visual defects of the patients. This system of conceptualization and decomposition allows me to see better, and my life is better as a result.

2 comments:

  1. I really love the comparison of the optometrist examination and examination of soil in Latour's expedition. It is exteremely subjective: one optometrist will force you to look at these letters until you will finally guess them, another will just increase the power of lenses; one pedologist will call this soil sandy-clay, another - clayey-sand, or call it different color. It might be a slight difference at point, but after all transfomations this information procede it can make a huge differenece in results: you will get wrong glasses that will continue to worse your vision; researchers will get wrong conclusion about processes happening on site. So method of decomposition really works only with limited subjectivism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, I found myself in the exact same position as you when I was in the second grade. I was consistently worried about wearing my glasses in school for fear of what others would think of me, even though I needed to wear the glasses desperately. I begged my parents for contacts before I was able to read a full book at the 4th grade level. The comparison that you made between Latour and Ophthalmology was very insightful and easy to understand. The most resonating statement was how through careful measuring and recreation, they created something new through attempting to conceptualize elements of the real world (and in this case, a map). We can see this through many other aspects and innovations in the world today. Vitamins, storage containers, and even a door are a few things that come to mind. They are innovations that have changed a once distorted and unknown future of something, to giving it potential and the possibility of development. Thank you for making me think, and be even more grateful for my contact lenses and glasses today.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...