Friday, May 4, 2018

Final Blog

There have been a lot of ideas that have stuck with me throughout this class, often because they scared me. I feel like I understand better how complex relationships between science and culture relate, especially through conversation with a group from such diverse fields. One issue that especially stood out to me throughout the course is just how much money is tied up in environmental regulations. In reading Economix I was super freaked out by the power of the corporation over not just businesses, but the earth itself. Someone mentioned on the last day of class that there are many more manufacturing regulations in Europe than here in the U.S. It was a reminder that just because that is the way I have always known things to work here doesn't mean that our intertwined system of science/culture/money/power is necessary. So in that way this conversation both scared me and gave me hope, because now I feel less in the dark about this issue that will hugely affect my life.

Studying Winona LaDuke also reminded me that 1. this problem is so much bigger than I realized, and 2. it is possible to fight back. I was really inspired by her work and I feel like I have a better handle on how to take concrete steps towards concrete (scientific and cultural) changes. This class in general has given me that feeling of deeper understanding and greater confidence, but this issue in particular has me really fired up and ready to fight it where I can.

Thanks for a wonderful class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...