Thursday, April 12, 2018

Blog 8

I definitely can say that our existence is shaped by technologies. For example, my major (computer science) just didn't exist 100 years ago. And now it is the leading job position with huge salaries and opportunities. Computer scientists are needed everywhere to provide everyone the access to the technologies we are so addicted to. But the use of technologies isn't the only thing that changes you, the decision not to use also shapes the way you communicate with the world.

I think the most demonstrative example you can observe while travelling. As I had only one year in the US I tried to explore as much as I can (11 states - not bad), and every trip was with a different companion. But I always noticed the same pattern - during the day you take as many pictures as you can, without looking at the weather conditions, accessibility of the place or even the magnificence of the place - you don't look there, you look only on an image on your screen. Click - done, let's run to a new place, no time for feeling this view, no stops, keep going. And then in the evening the first thing you do before eating or changing clothes - edit and post. Every single person I traveled with spent around 2 hours a day staring in the screen to share with everyone how wonderful their trip was.

I have nothing against taking pictures. Of course, you want to bring the memories about that place back home. But it shouldn't be the first reason of your trip. I enjoy the moments just standing and watching the landscape, no photos, no talking, just you and the nature/buildings around you. But with a race for pictures you just don't have time for it. And in the evening I would rather discuss the day's experience between each other, the ones you explored it, but not brag to others online, especially when it is not your family/close friends but nearly strangers. But you can't talk with people who are in a virtual world. So all you have is to enjoy the book -- or join them in the virtual reality.

When my roommate lost her phone with two credit cards the first thing she said was: "How will I be without my phone? I can't connect to anyone, I can't post Instagram stories, I can't chat. People will think I'm dead". She bought a new one in less than a week and now she again feels herself "alive" - with a dead eyes staring into the screen.

People call you strange if you are not like them. "How didn't you see that new YouTube video? It was published 2 hours ago! Why don't you know that the acquaintance of your acquaintance has a new car? He posted a photo!" - you can hear it all the time. And you watch it just not to be an outsider among your friends. And I want to say NO. No, I didn't watch that video because I have no interest in the topic. No, I didn't see the photo because I barely know him and I don't want to follow all his life on Instagram. During last 9 months living in a new country I published 12 posts in Instagram (real number), just couple posts on Facebook. I am strange. And I hope more people managed to get outside the screen. Or at some moment we will live in the "Black Mirror". And it is scaring.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! For me, the worst part about traveling anywhere always seems to be figuring out what I'll end up posting on social media -- because if I don't post after a big trip, I'm afraid people might infer that the trip was bad. And I think more importantly, it's necessary to post because everyone posts, making you the odd one out if you don't (while all your friends have beautiful pictures up showing how amazing their lives obviously are). The experience of posting on social media often sucks, but, to an extent, it unfortunately seems to be a necessary part of life for people our age.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...