Thursday, April 26, 2018

#10

One of the first things I thought of for this post was Youtube, probably partially brought about by the background report we saw about how to become a famous Youtuber. 

I watch Youtube videos all the time. I am subscribed to a lot of different people/channels and it’s one of my favorite ways to casually pass time or have some background noise going as I work on other things. And it’s honestly crazy to me to think about so many of these ‘famous’ Youtubers who have made (and continue to make) millions and millions of dollars because of this video sharing website online. Ten years ago (when a few of these people were just starting to make videos as a hobby), it never would have crossed anyone’s mind that people would be making money off of posting these little videos, much less making millions and becoming completely idolizing by their subscribers/followers. Many of these people have also come out with their own brands/companies/etc. because of this platform they have. 

I do believe this (obviously) has been very *good* for them and has changed a lot of people’s lives. I have a friend who started a Youtube channel last year. She still doesn’t make money from it at this point, but there is always a possibility she could continue gaining tons of followers and eventually make *bank* doing this. I do think there are definitely downsides to the saturation of content and video-makers online, such as kids having incredibly easy access to inappropriate content or things that are mindless, bad, etc. and parents not really being able to control what their children are exposed to, especially as they get a little older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...