Friday, March 2, 2018

Blog Post #5 Regan Bradley


Tylenol or acetaminophen?

In my naïve years as a teenager, I thought there was a difference. "Mom, I cannot take acetaminophen, I have to have Tylenol." To top off my stupidity I would pronounce it horribly wrong each time I attempted to say it. From a young age we learn of Tylenol due to the chewable tablets I assume we all took with a preference of cherry or grape. Grape for me. I really loved to taste and was pretty excited to be sick and get to take some yummy grape Tylenol. I knew the name well. It was branded to me and all children.

As we grew up and had to start swallowing the harder pills. Less flavorful and more expensive. But the metaphorically harder pills as well: the facts. The well-known brand I'd come to love for healing my fevers and pain was just socially created through a name. Acetaminophen is my true hero, not the concept provided by Tylenol including raising my spirits and being a part of everything I do as seen in a their common commercial (provided below). I was an adult now so I could better understand the aspects of branding and what medication contain.

From my field research, Extra Strength Pail Relief by CVS Health is $7.99 for 100 tablets 500 mg each and Tylenol Extra Strength $10.79 for 100 caplets 500 mg each. The children's medication also increase in price from the CVS Health Acetaminophen to Tylenol. There was a steady increase in price as the ages on the boxes increase for both brands. This is just a few examples from one store so of course this does not justify what I am saying but they are viable examples.

Acetaminophen is the key ingredient in Tylenol. It is a pain reliever as well as a fever reducer. It belongs to a class of drugs named analgesics and antipyretics which relieve pain and reduce fever respectively. Drug companies create a brand name that trademarks their medications for a certain period of time. After that time period, generic brand names can then sell that medicine under a different name. As we can see from my field work (the picture provided below) there is more than one pain reliever pill other than Tylenol. There is a bunch of "different" acetaminophen pills which are different simply through branding and packaging.

This is what marketing and capital have come to. Producers all sell the same thing but everything is priced differently due to branding and packages. This means that people who are unaware of these concepts will be paying more money than is necessary. I believe this is both a problem of the public and of producers. The public should be aware of these little scams and not partake in putting extra money where it doesn't need to go. Producers should not be using the ignorance of the American people to make more money off of things that should be easily accessible for a lower price. I believe the problem lies more on the side of the public. If we stop buying the more expensive drugs that are the same thing as generic drugs, the more expensive drugs will not be sold any more due to simple supply and demand economics. However there goes the jobs of people at Tylenol so what really is the right thing to do?

You Raised Her Spirits:


Field Research:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...