Thursday, March 22, 2018

Blog 6: TV Shows & Resturants

While I was thinking about this assignment earlier this week, I took a Netflix break to let my mind wander. Currently, I'm watching Parks & Recreation, a show I have re-watched so many times it's embarrassing to admit. As the cast is working their way through this episodes problem, the filming changed location to JJ's Diner. For people who have not watched the show, this is main character Leslie Knope's favorite place in Pawnee, Indiana which serves the best breakfast food in the world, specifically waffles. Throughout my time watching this show, there is usually at least one scene every episode or two that occurs at JJ's. It's often used at a meeting, hang out, and eating spot for the various characters. JJ's Diner has essentially taken on the persona of being a recurring cast member for the show. This made me think about other TV programs I have watched in the past and how there is almost always an example of one particular restaurant or bar that the main cast frequents. 

Another example off the top of my head is Shaw's Bar in Brooklyn Nine Nine. Once again, the cast often gathers here to discuss issues, blow off steam, or events important to the overall plot of the series take place in this particular location. Which is surprising because in most ordinary people's lives, do they really have a location that is so central to their everyday functioning? While some might argue they cannot start their day without a Starbucks run in the morning or a trip through the McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast, I consider these intrinsically different because they are chains and therefore interchangeable to your experience. I have never watched the show Friends, but I know they all hang out at a coffee shop called Central Perk. There is an overarching theme in TV shows of having a common location based around the consumption of food. However, the characters are rarely ever filmed actually eating or drinking at that location. While you might go to an eating establishment to meet up with someone you might not have seen for awhile and spend some time visiting, does anyone really spend hours a week in such a place just sitting there and essentially hanging out with friends in their free time? I'm honestly curious if this actually happens, but I consider this concept different than visiting a favorite cafe frequently to do homework because there is an end goal (either completing assignments or getting coffee), not just hanging out because you can.

Image result for parks and rec jj's diner 
Here is a picture of JJ's Diner from Parks & Recreation
Image result for brooklyn nine nine bar shaw's bar
Here is a picture of Shaw's Bar from Brooklyn Nine Nine

Image result for central perk
Here is a picture of Central Perk from Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...