Saturday, March 3, 2018

Benzo

One of the first things that comes to my mind with at least stigmatized drugs is Xanax. Once a drug that would treat chronic pain and anxiety that suddenly became the ultimate party drug. I decided to look further into these kinds of medications. Xanax, or alprazolam is a type of benzodiazepine. Typically used to treat people who are suffering from severe anxiety or panic attacks. Xanax is also the 12th most prescribed medication in the United States. Xanax as well as every other benzodiazepine works in the same way, by reducing brain activity, particularly by enhancing the effect of GABA in the brain. This reduction of brain activity is used to treat many different types ailments such as panic disorders, muscle spasms, seizures, sleeplessness, alcohol withdrawal, and even premenstrual syndrome. And in fact, I even saw that Xanax is sometimes prescribed for people with PMS. What I found even more interesting is that these benzodiazepines are quite addictive as they create a tolerance, altering your natural chemical composition and creating a need for a greater dosage, yet they are commonly prescribed to those suffering from alcohol withdrawal. Even within the articles I was reading about it, it cautioned its use for people who have ever struggled with addictions as they would be more prone to become addicted to even the prescribed amount of benzodiazepines. Seems pretty ironic to me, that an addictive med would be prescribed to those recovering from addiction, but I suppose that happens when we feel the need to prescribed something for everyone. And I suppose reducing brain activity is something that everyone could use sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maddy,
    I loved your last sentence and I agree: we could use a little less brain activity now and again, especially with all of the stimuli around us. As far as Xanax goes, it is really weird that doctors prescribe the drug so readily. I say that because I know many people, and many songs that talk about poppin a xan. I think there are probably some red flags being thrown up somewhere that are going unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...