Friday, February 2, 2018

Blog Post 2

I am sitting here in Barnes and Noble analyzing everything about my personality and attempting to trace each trait back to a beginning. I have spent more time then I'd like to admit on this very topic. Questions like 'Why am I like this?', 'Why did I just do that', 'Why did I say that?', often cross my mind. Something that is puzzling to me is the fact that almost every single aspect of my personality I can find in one of my parents. It is something kind of freaks me out: firstly because I would hate to think I am just a copy of them and secondly because I am right in the middle of the nature vs nurture debate. However, when I pick any part of me, I distinctly see one of them. I have a hard time giving up on things no matter how bad I am at an activity or how hopeless a situation is. That goes directly to my dad who literally will never drop a task ever. He is the most persistent man I know. Furthermore, I bite my tongue almost always. I never outwardly express anger or annoyance with a person that I love. Well, neither does my mom.  She is super unconfrontational and can hold her temper even better than me. I am randomly super good at math (despite my loathing of the subject), which comes from my dad. I have a deep rooted rebellious side which my mom also seemed to have during her adolescence. These qualities about me were ones that I have had for as long as I can remember, and I chalk it up to genetics because I can't remember a time where I didn't have them.

Furthermore, I find myself to be the ultimate (sometimes contradictory) combination. My mother is a fairly religious person, and I now identify myself has religious too. My father is a driven scientist who specializes in behavioral neurology and I find that I also have that same love from empiricism. As a child, my infatuation for discovery was always there, but it wasn't highlighted ever in my education or the activities I was involved in. My religious attributes, however, were. I was more involved with my faith. I was often times praised for it and was seen as a good child, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I was a classic middle child so the attention was always appreciated. As I got older, I found myself enjoying different activities more. I would go to the lab with my father, spend a lot of time reading science literature, and focused more in school. My mother wasn't the biggest fan of this change, as I was sort of leaving her behind, and I felt that my religious community wasn't either. My attendance at the mosque became more scarce, and as a teenager I felt different from the rest of my community. Now, as an adult in college pursuing a biology degree, that feeling is almost completely gone. I actually feel more respected for my empiricist view points and my love for science. I also think that my passion for research and discovery has changed my personality and I believe that who I am would be completely different had I taken a different route. That isn't to say that I am no longer a religious person. My religion will always be a part of me, however, now as medicinal science advances more and more, I tend to rely on something more than faith.

Growing up where and how I did, pursuing my passion for discovery wasn't encouraged as much as it is now.

1 comment:

  1. Your story is quite interesting. Not to the extent of your own life, but I understand a part in what you went through. I was raised Catholic and attend Catholic schools from kindergarten throughout high school. I called myself Catholic. However, as I began to focus more and more on science, my religion faded. Long story short, I left the church and felt hated for years and years to come as I continued to study with my Catholic friends as that "trader to the faith." I pursued my own passion and continue on as I was hated for having my own beliefs. I no longer call myself Catholic or even religious. I say I love science and that is it. Yes we may get all this from our parents, my mother and I are the same people it seems. But are we not also shaped by our society or people we meet? An extreme example from Carl Elliot, but do we look up to something and want to become that? Is it in our nature to change or from our experiences that we grow to who we are to become?

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...