Saturday, February 24, 2018

Blog #4

The older I get, the more I come to believe that addiction in this country is not just big business, but it is a form of control.  I could turn just this idea into a chapter-long diatribe, but I will try to stay focused on just one small aspect.  Movies and television shows quite often show drug use as cool (Fast Times at Ridgemont High), a way to fit in (Breakfast Club), a way to make money (American Gangster), a way to solve problems (Breaking Bad).  The same goes for gambling (21).  There are examples for nearly every type of addiction.  Examples of real world consequences are more rare (Requiem for a Dream and The Man With the Golden Arm).  That is all fiction.  I feel the real world is worse.  Nearly every television show is sponsored in part by a prescription drug.  Psoriasis, erectile dysfunction, back pain, headaches, etc.  These ads are mingled with beer ads.  Drinking and taking drugs are promoted on your favorite shows.  The drug companies even tell you in their commercials that if you have a symptom (that might be common to many conditions) to directly ask your doctor for that drug by name.  People are free to shop around until they have a doctor willing to prescribe that drug.  Most MDs will prescribe, even if they know it is unnecessary, rather than risk losing that patient to another drug.  Prescription drug abuse is then treated with counselling and...different drugs from the same drug company.  I read somewhere that the USA is only 15% of the world population, but we take 75% of the prescription drugs.  I don't have a solution, but I clearly see this problem.  My personal solution is to avoid drugs and medication whenever possible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...