Saturday, February 24, 2018

Blog #4

Turn on the radio; listen carefully to the song playing, what is it talking about?  I'd be willing to bet that the song has something to do with drugs or alcohol.  As a fan of country music, I know most of the songs that I enjoy involve drinking alcohol.  Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band is a good example because it appeals to an average person.  The song begins with a "cold beer on a friday night" which implies that the people are working the week for hopes of the weekend.  The song is normalizing drinking at the end of the week; almost as if it is a must to have a drink at the end of the week.  Because I grew up in a small town, country music was very popular when I was growing up.  There were people that strived to live like a country song.  This seemed to involve drinking heavily every weekend, which turned into something that was all they talked about.  The  people had an extreme devotion to drinking it was all they looked forward too.  There would be times that I would hear them say, "I need a drink" quite often.  With that level of obsession, it is easy to see the possibility of addiction.  I believe popular country music that has glorified alcohol has played a large part in that addiction. 

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to hear when someone else dislikes country music because then I'm not alone. And honestly you're right. Country music usually involves the subject of drinking beer in addition to driving a truck, and talking about "their girl". Am I generalizing a whole genre of music? Of course I am. But I have a point to make, and that point is that country music usually does revere alcohol as a way to have fun. But not in an unhealthy way. I think anything can be misconstrued when people take it to the next level that was intended. I'm pretty sure not all country music says that the only way to have fun is to drink alcohol or to drink it in excess. It's suppose to be relatable. If there was a song about drinking coffee, then a lot of people would identify with that song (side note: someone should totally write a song about coffee cause I would listen to that) but that doesn't mean they would drink an unhealthy quantity of it because a song made it really fun. I think that's the whole point of Descartes' teachings: to doubt (almost) anything because most of the time, there's some truth or fact missing. We can't just immediately believe that alcohol is fun for everyone all the time. No, because sometimes life gets messy and people get hangovers or suffer even more serious repercussions. All of us learn, at one point, that we can't take everything we hear to heart. Everything is a choice and sometimes its the wrong choice but we learn from it so we don't make it again. Sorry, this is getting too preachy. Basically, country music is aesthetically terrible and they mention drinking a lot but it's not the issue. If someone is addicted to alcohol there's usually another reason besides country music.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...