Saturday, January 27, 2018

Denis Dutton

When I first watched Dutton's TED talk, I was at first annoyed. Being told that all the things that I found beautiful was because it was a result of genetics felt like all the choices I've made in life was pre-determined. I've never been a fan of the concept of Calvinism so I'm also pretty sure I knew that I was going to have an issue with this TED talk. However, hearing him speak and connect the dots between our everyday enjoyments to basic survival instincts could not be overlooked. I can't ignore the science and all the facts because they're true and every time I try to find a way to contradict them becomes a very confusing bout of circular reasoning in my head. So yes, I grudgingly agree with Dutton but just like the nature vs nurture argument can be applied to our personality so can it be applied in this case. There are more factors to be taken into consideration than just genetics by itself.

In addition, when Dutton mentioned during the landscape portion of the video, that the reason people like trees that fork near the ground was because it made it easier to climb, I immediately remembered the term biophilia. The Biophilia hypothesis is the idea that humans possess an innate tendency to seek connections with nature and other forms of life. It's a genetic basis. It's why people like the smell of rain because the oils secreted from plants mix with the rain after a dry spell, creating a pleasant, musky aroma. We enjoy nature because we relied on nature in the past for survival and now we find those same scenes of nature beautiful. Humans climbed trees to escape and saw rain as a reminder of growth in resources. Dutton was right when he said "beauty is a gift, handed down through the intelligence skills" of our ancestors. However, at what point do the genetic traits my ancestors exhibited stop and where do mine begin? The whole point of darwinism is that we adapt. We are products of our ancestors survival skills but we change whether its due to mutation or adaptation. So yes, I like rainstorms because of my ancestors but I also like the sound of coffee being brewed and poured. To me, it's one of the best aesthetic pleasures in the world.  Who's to say which trait belongs to who? 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fascinating to think about how much of our lives are determined from the decisions and actions performed by our ancestors? I had your same thought process while watching Dutton's TED Talk, with the original smugness and denial that not all of my thoughts and decisions are made by myself alone. While it is difficult to come to terms with the fact that much of what we do is predisposed, it's also amazing to sit back and listen to the way that Dutton explains it all. I really enjoyed your thought process about where the line is crossed between ancestral influence and your own individual behaviors and habits. From Dutton's example of the diamond ring, I think I draw my own line from my ancestors as I am more of a fan of a cushion cut diamond instead of the increasingly popular teardrop shape ;)

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

I am profoundly interested in the Cartesian split. I knew what it was pretty vaguely before this course, but did not fully understand it at ...